I’m going to paraphrase and abridge heavily. There are multiple authoritative sources on the principles of lean. Here’s what sticks with me.
- Value is defined by the customer
- If you’re working on budgets, your customer is usually your in-house management team and departmental managers.
- Analyze your process
- Focusing on the steps that actually create customer value.
- Eliminate the steps that fail to create value
- Don’t form sentimental attachments to anything.
- Let “pull” govern your process
- Listen to your customers’s needs, rather than telling them what you’re going to deliver.
- Keep cycling through the process
- If you think it’s perfect, you’re wrong.
Details on each of these points to follow…